Child abuse must be stopped! Learn how to keep children and teens safe from sexual abuse without scaring them or overwhelming them with explicit details about all the bad things that might happen. The Kidpower Positive Practice Method enables adults to coach children in rehearsing boundary setting and other powerful skills in every day life in a way that is fun and effective. Children learn to stop unwanted touch and teasing and how to persist until they get help. We teach these skills through role-plays and practices using examples that are age-appropriate and relevant to their daily lives.
As adults, we can teach our children Road Safety without talking about exactly what happens to your body when you get hit by a car. We can teach Water Safety without going into detail about what it means to drown. And we can teach People Safety skills without describing the terrible things a harmful person might do to others. Specific resources addressing child abuse prevention in our Library, Books, and Training/Consulting Services are collected below.
- Worthy of Trust: What Organizations Must Do to Protect Children From Harm
- Why Affection and Teasing Should be a Child’s Choice
- Safety Tips: Protecting Children from Sexual Abuse
- Sometimes the People Kids Love Have Problems – What Children Do and Do NOT Need to Know
- What if a Sex Offender is Living in Our Neighborhood?
- Four Strategies for Protecting Kids From Sexual Predators
- Teaching Children About Safe and Unsafe Secrets
- Safe and Unsafe Bribes
- Touch in Healthy Relationships
- Child Abuse Prevention in Youth Sports
Training and Consultation
- In-Person Workshops
- Long Distance Seminars
- Personal Coaching for Families
- Consulting for Schools and Organizations
See our California services or other locations for our in-person services with a wide range of public and privately organized workshops that give our students the opportunity to practice social-emotional and self-defence skills that help them learn how to protect their emotional and physical safety, gain confidence, and build better relationships. For information about our long-distance seminars and personal coaching sessions that can be conducted anywhere by video-conferencing, email, or telephone, please contact us.
Books to Help Protect Children and Teens From Sexual Abuse
- The Kidpower Book for Caring Adults: Personal Safety, Self-Protection, Confidence, and Advocacy for Young People provides extensive information on how to protect children from sexual abuse, including clear explanations, inspiring stories, and step-by-step explanations about how to practice skills.
- Kidpower and Fullpower Safety Comics and Teaching Kits give cartoon-illustrated tools for teaching and practicing “People Safety” skills that can stop most abuse by preparing kids to set boundaries and get help.
- The Relationship Safety Handbook is for teen and adult victims and potential victims of relationship violence, as well as the support people in their lives.