Making Safety Accessible Thanks to Our Partner, Ability Central
About the Project
The Safety Powers Project is a FREE course divided into short video lessons. The course is available through Kidpower’s Online Learning Center. Each lesson covers a different personal safety topic and aims to help people, of all ages, with a variety of communication challenges, to learn and practice ‘People Safety’ skills. All skills are shown with and WITHOUT the use of spoken words.
- Noticing potential problems, if possible, before they start
- Making Safety Decisions to help make a problem better instead of bigger
- Understanding consent and boundaries
- Setting healthy and effective boundaries
- Building positive communication with people we know
- Being persistent in getting help for safety from adult authority figures, even if this person is busy, grumpy, or distracted
- Thinking and Checking first before doing something unplanned or when faced with the unexpected
- And much more!
Each lesson includes:
For learners and educators:
- Video lessons with captions and transcript option
- Illustrated skill reminders (downloadable)
- Real-life role-plays of skills taught
- Hands-on practice guides and role-play examples for educators (downloadable)
- Step-by-step skill practice instructions
- Links to additional resources to help increase understanding and skill adaptations
Sign-up to the FREE Course
Thanks to our funding partner, Ability Central, this entire course is FREE!
To view other lessons and get the downloadable resources, sign-up to the course by following these instructions:
1. Go to https://learn.kidpower.org/course/safety-powers-project
2. Create your account. Or login to your existing account:
a. If you are a NEW user, click on the ‘Sign up’ button (purple button in the menu bar).
A sign-up form will appear so you can create your account in the Kidpower Online Learning Center. Fill out your user information. You may need to go to your email inbox to confirm your email and password access before you can access the course.
If you click instead on the wobbling ‘Register for free!’ button, this is another way to enroll. When the form appears, make sure to click ‘Create Account’ (located at the bottom of the form) so you can create your account.
NOTE: No credit card information is needed to open an account or access free courses. Make sure you are aged 18 and up or, if you are between the ages of 13 and 17, that you sign up with parental/legal guardian consent.
b. If you have already created an account, click on the ‘Sign in’ button (purple outline button in the menu bar) or ‘Register for free!’ button (near the picture). To login, enter the email and password you used to create your account.
3. Once you are signed in, click the ‘Continue’ button to get started.
4. Enjoy your learning journey!
- Lesson 1 – Positive Communication
- Lesson 2 – Boundaries On Touch & Affection
- Lesson 3 – Protect yourself from hurtful messages
- Lesson 4 – Awareness, Calm, & Confidence to Avoid Trouble
- Lesson 5 – Persistence Power to Get Help for Safety
- Taking Charge of Safety to Stop Bullying
- Safety in Public
- And much more!
Sample Video Lesson
Click on the image below to watch the sample video lesson and get a glimpse of the course content.
To access the downloads and detailed instructions, sign-up to the FREE course!
How are we doing? What else do you need?
We want to make these lessons work well for people with different communication modalities or challenges. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated so we can make them better.
Thank you to our funding partner!
The Safety Powers Project is possible thanks to the generosity of our funding partner: