Technology changes, but Kidpower’s core principles for safety with people are timeless, preparing people for safety online now and throughout their online lives. We teach:
- Awareness to prevent problems before they start
- Assessment to avoid, de-escalate, or end unsafe situations
- Moving away from trouble emotionally and digitally
- Boundary setting to stop unwanted attention
- Disengaging to leave activities skillfully
- Assertive advocacy to get help with safety problems
- Safety planning for individuals and for groups of peers online together.
- Emotional safety to stay safe, calm, and effective in the face of threats, harassment, intimidation, peer pressure, bullying, or other emotional attacks.
To be safe online, youth need caring adults involved in their online lives. Without adult guidance, youth online are more vulnerable to abuse, coercion, bullying, manipulation, and other harm. This is true even for digital natives more skilled with technology than their adults. See:
- Kidpower Strategies for Safety Online – and Everywhere Else
- Digital Citizenship & Safety Agreement Template
- Preparing Kids for Good Digital Citizenship
Your US$45/family registration includes one-on-one email support with questions before & after the workshop and links to resources to help you & your family apply, adapt, and practice the skills.
Workshop Fee: $45/family (includes children and accompanying adults)
Pre-registration is required as there is limited space.
This workshop is geared toward families with kids ages 9-14. Children outside of this age range are welcome to attend and the content may not be as relevant for them.
Donations over the amount of workshop fees are tax-deductible. We do not turn anyone away from our workshops for lack of money. Scholarship information is available.
Because practicing together greatly increases the ability to use the skills taught in real life, we strongly recommend that you keep your video and microphone on and practice along with the instructor.
Upon registering, participants will receive a confirmation email with the meeting link.
Instructor will stay up to 30 minutes after the end of the workshop to answer questions and practice skills.