In our Familypower Online Safety workshop, youth 9-14 side-by-side with their adults practice skills and strategies adapted for online situations so they can have more fun and fewer problems online.
Together, adults and youth practice ways to:
- Meet new people online more safely
- Spot possible problems before they grow
- Deal with harassment, coercion, bullying, and other online aggression
- Set and respect boundaries with other online friends, players, and users
- Create safety plans – and adapt them as young people grow
- Strengthen your ‘safety teamwork’ – so you can discuss and practice safety more effectively, with less arguing and lecturing
To be safe online, youth need caring adults involved in their online lives. Without adult guidance, youth online are more vulnerable to abuse, coercion, bullying, manipulation, and other harm. This is true even for digital natives more skilled with technology than their adults. See:
- Kidpower Strategies for Safety Online – and Everywhere Else
- Digital Citizenship & Safety Agreement Template
- Preparing Kids for Good Digital Citizenship
Your US$45/family registration includes one-on-one email support with questions before & after the workshop and links to resources to help you & your family apply, adapt, and practice the skills.
Workshop Fee: $45/family (includes children and accompanying adults)
Pre-registration is required as there is limited space.
This workshop is geared toward families with kids ages 9-14. Children outside of this age range are welcome to attend and the content may not be as relevant for them.
Donations over the amount of workshop fees are tax-deductible. We do not turn anyone away from our workshops for lack of money. Scholarship assistance is available.
Because practicing together greatly increases the ability to use the skills taught in real life, we strongly recommend that you keep your video and microphone on and practice along with the instructor.
Upon registering, participants will receive a confirmation email with the meeting link.
Instructor will stay up to 30 minutes after the end of the workshop to answer questions and practice skills.