“Doing Right by Our Kids is a field guide for practicing courage. It will arm you with the knowledge and skills you need to know when, why, and how to act to protect your kids.”
— Dan Heath, New York Times #1 Bestselling Author
A groundbreaking new book about Protecting Child Safety at All Levels by internationally-recognized child safety education experts.
Foreword by Dan Heath, New York Times bestselling co-author of Made to Stick and Switch
“Follow this book’s principles to help build a world in which we don’t just expose abuses after they happen, but stamp them out beforehand. Not just from sexual abuse, but also from bullying, hazing, and negligent treatment.”-- Dan Heath
Doing Right by Our Kids — Protecting Child Safety at All Levels
Available in paperback on Amazon now, and Kindle in September 2018!
We’ve seen great progress in keeping our kids safe. Yet we still have a long way to go! Research has shown that bullying, abuse, and other harmful childhood experiences cause suffering, both when they occur and throughout people’s lives. Unfortunately, discomfort and lack of knowledge often make it hard to take effective action. Doing Right by Our Kids creates a full circle of safety, getting adults on the same page—in families, schools, organizations, and communities.
The safety of kids is everybody’s business! Discover how to:
- Use the powerful ‘Safety at All Levels’ model, beginning at home and then extending to neighbors, schools, sports, and beyond.
- Become a positive, powerful advocate for child safety, confidence, and respect.
- Recognize potential trouble and take charge of problems that put kids at risk.
- Persuade organizations at all levels to take action to protect the young people in their care
- Bonus toolkit: Essential skills, strategies, and practices from Kidpower®, a proven global leader in ‘People Safety’ education for all ages and abilities since 1989.
About the Authors
Doing Right by Our Kids co-authors Amy Tiemann, PhD, and Irene van der Zande have reached millions of people worldwide with their messages of personal safety, respect, and empowerment.
Social change and parenting expert Dr. Amy Tiemann is a Stanford-trained neuroscientist, the author of Mojo Mom, and an executive producer of socially-relevant documentary films. She serves Kidpower International as a Senior Program Leader.
As the Founder, Lead Author, and Executive Director of Kidpower Teenpower Fullpower International®, Irene van der Zande has dedicated over three decades to protecting vulnerable children, teens, and adults from harm while empowering them to take charge of their safety and well-being.
List price: $19.99 USD. Order now through Amazon. Please write a review and rate the book.
This book is printed and shipped by Amazon. If there are any problems with the quality of the cover, binding, or printing, or if the book is damaged in shipping, Amazon will replace your book.
Part I: Safety for Kids = Peace of Mind for Parents
Chapter 1: The Heart of Child Protection
Chapter 2: Kidpower’s Core Safety Principles for Adults
Chapter 3: Safety Comes from Within: Core Kidpower Skills to Protect Our Children and Empower Our Families
Chapter 4: Taking Charge of Our Inner Circle: Safety with Family, Friends, Neighbors, and Babysitters
Part II: How Organizations Can Earn Our Trust
Chapter 5: Worthy of Trust: What Youth-serving Organizations Must Do to Keep Kids Safe
Chapter 6: Kids Learn Best When They Feel Safe: Tools for Schools
Chapter 7: The JOY of the Game: Reclaiming Youth Sports
Chapter 8: Spiritual Safety: Places of Worship Should Be Safe for Kids
Chapter 9: Colleges: A Safe Place to Spread Their Wings
Part III: Creating Safer Societies
Chapter 10: Overcoming Harmful Prejudice with Understanding, Determination and Courage
Chapter 11: Giving Our Kids a Better World to Live In
Bonus Toolkit: Kidpower Skills and Action Plans
- 10 Core Kidpower Skills, with Explanations for How to Practice and Teach Them
- Preparing Children for More Independence: 6 Steps from Kidpower
- Make SURE! Kidpower Action Plan for School and Organization Leaders
- My Child is Being Bullied at School! –Action Plan for Parents and Guardians
- How to Prevent and Stop Cyberbullying
- How to Pick a Good Self-Defense Program
Comments From Readers
We only post comments from readers who have given us permission to use their quotes, or who have published their comments publicly.
“As a public safety officer, I strongly believe that a great deal of violence, including bullying and abuse, could be prevented if everyone had these skills.”