Stranger Safety – Assault & Kidnapping Prevention
Assault & Kidnapping Prevention
Kidpower teaches Stranger Safety – NOT ‘stranger danger’. We developed this approach in 1989, and every year, we are happy to see more safety programs worldwide choosing to follow our lead!
When adults learn the Kidpower approach to Stranger Safety, then making Stranger Safety habits part of their daily life with kids can become as easy as making manners, hygiene, and traffic safety habits part of daily life.
The Kidpower approach makes it easier, more fun, and less scary to help kids be safer, more confident, and less fearful about safety with strangers.
We teach ways to introduce, use, and practice Stranger Safety at all ages – starting from early childhood and, for older children and teens, including emergency-only physical self-defense skills as a last resort to escape and get to safety.
- Featured Article: “Stranger Danger” Hurts Kids
- Stranger Abduction & Kidnapping Prevention
- Featured Podcast: Stranger Safety – What Rhymes with Ranger? (6:48)
- When Kids Learn About a Tragic Kidnapping
- Safety with Strangers and People Children Know
- Resisting the “Illusion of Safety”
- Adults Need To Know: Personal Safety for Children
- Safety Checklist: Get Kids Ready To Stay Safe When They Go Out
- Just in Case: What Children Need to Know if They Cannot Get Away at First
- How to Pick a Good Self-Defense Program
7 Strategies for Keeping Your Kids Safe - video series
Dr. Harold Johnson, Emeritus Professor of Education, interviewing Kidpower founder and executive director, Irene van der Zande, to describe each of Kidpower’s 7 strategies for keeping children safe and how to apply these concepts to your daily life.
Stop! Leave! Help! Teaching kids how to stop a potential abduction
ABC7’s Better Bay Area News
ABC7’s Better Bay Area News Team shows viewers how to teach kids how to stop a possible abduction, featuring Kidpower’s executive director and founder, Irene van der Zande.
Now in color! This book answers the question, “How do I teach my kids to be safe with people without scaring them?” Have fun sharing the social stories together with your kids, and they’ll be learning powerful skills. Young children will ask you to read it again and again!
Learn More | Buy on Amazon
Your Amazon purchases help Kidpower!
“Doing Right by Our Kids is a field guide for practicing courage. It will arm you with the knowledge and skills you need to know when, why, and how to act to protect your kids.”
— Dan Heath, New York Times Bestselling Author
Learn Kidpower from the experts! Your choices include:
- Online, pre-recorded courses at your own pace: visit the Kidpower Online Learning Center to start learning now, including our popular Kidpower Child Protection Advocate Training
- Online, live workshops with others around the world: take a workshop open for public enrollment!
- Online, live workshops with others in your own group: arrange a virtual instructor to teach your group…
- physically gathered in one location
- joining online from remote locations
- In Person [PAUSED for the pandemic]: take a live workshop organized by Kidpower and open to the public or organize a workshop for your own group!
To take a workshop or arrange your own, visit our Workshops page!
We’re here to answer your questions, suggest resources, and give you more information about how to take or plan a class. Contact us today!