Services for Parents
to protect and empower their kids
Kidpower teaches parents, educators, and other caregivers how to use prevention, advocacy, intervention, and personal safety strategies and skills to protect their children and teens from harm and to empower the young people in their lives to take charge of their own emotional and physical safety.
These social-emotional tools help to increase confidence, reduce stress, strengthen relationships, and prevent most bullying, harassment, child abuse, abduction, and other violence. Parents, teachers, and other caregivers are in the best position to use and teach these skills with young people in their daily activities.
Workshops for Parents & Caregivers
During the pandemic, all workshops are online; can be arranged as a single session or as a series; and vary in length and emphasis based on the needs of the group. Given the success and popularity of our online programs – and because they create opportunities non possible in in-person workshops – we are deeply invested in continuing to offer them even after in-person services resume.
As in all our services, programs for parents use the Kidpower Positive Practice Method so that adults are successful in rehearsing how to use these skills in situations that are relevant to their concerns as well as learning how to use this method to practice safety skills with young people.
Because these are adults-only programs, participants have time and space to ask questions and discuss their concerns in a frank way without creating anxiety for their children.
Enroll now in one of our Parentpower programs organized by Kidpower and open to the public. Contact us to organize a workshop with and for your own school, club, neighborhood, or other group! If you’re interested in an in-depth experience in how to use, promote, and teach child protection skills, learn about Training with Kidpower.
Visit the Kidpower Online Learning Center to start learning now using online, pre-recorded courses at your own pace.
I am trying to legally adopt my young child and have taken a lot of parenting classes. Frankly, your workshop is by far one of the best, most informative trainings I have had this year!
Topics: What Does Kidpower Provide for Parents & Caregivers?
Kidpower prepares parents and other caring adults to take leadership in addressing the issues that can affect the safety and well-being of their children and teens – and shows them how to teach ‘People Safety’ skills to young people in ways that are effective, fun, and empowering.
Our program provides answers to the questions, “How can we teach our younger children to be safe without scaring them? How can we prepare our older children to balance their need for increasing independence with their safety? How can we help create positive social climates in our families, schools, and youth-serving organizations, so that negative behaviors such as bullying have less room to grow?”
Specific topics addressed include:
- What adults need to know about keeping their kids safe from bullying, violence, and abuse
- How to use Kidpower’s Underlying Principle to make choices that Put Safety First -ahead of embarrassment, inconvenience, or offense
- The Kidpower Child Protection Promise and Put Safety First Commitment
- How to create positive social climates for the young people in your life
- How to establish a common language about safety within your family
- How to advocate for your child’s emotional and physical safety
- How to intervene powerfully and respectfully when you see unsafe or disrespectful behavior
- How to make a safety plan for everywhere children go
- How to teach your child rules and skills to keep them safe without creating fear
- How to coach children so they are successful in learning and practicing safety skills
- How to motivate children to use these skills in daily life until they become established hab
Our Child Protection books include inspiring stories, clear examples, and step-by-step directions in how to use Kidpower’s advocacy, intervention, and personal safety strategies and skills for both the general public and professionals:
- The Kidpower Book for Caring Adults, the most comprehensive guide available about personal safety self-protection, confidence, and advocacy for young people
- How to Teach Self-Protection and Confidence Skills to Young People:Kidpower Introductory Guide for Parents and Teachers – in English and in Spanish
- Earliest Teachable Moment: Personal Safety for Babies, Toddlers, and Preschoolers
- Bullying: What Adults Need to Know and Do to Keep Kids Safe
- Relationship Safety Skills Handbook to teach teens and adults how to be safe from interpersonal, dating, and domestic violence
- Kidpower Child Protection Advocates Training Workbook
Our cartoon-illustrated books make it easy and entertaining to discuss and practice these essential skills with children and youth:
- Safety Comics series for younger, older, and teen/young adult students – in English, Spanish, and Bi-lingual editions
- 15 People Safety Group Lessons: Teaching Children and Youth Ages 5-14 How to Be Safe With People
- 10 People Safety Assignments – includes permission to make copies for individual classrooms, youth groups, and families – English and Bi-Lingual English-Spanish editions available
- Safety for Kids on Their Way to School handout
- Kidpower Safety Tips for Parents and Caregivers handout
- Creating Positive Social Climates to Stop Bullying; Kidpower Tools for Adult Leaders
- Kidpower Child Protection Promise
- Kidpower Put Safety First Commitment
- CollegePower for Parents: Supporting Your New College Student’s Independence, Personal Safety, and Wisdom
- 7 Kidpower Strategies for Keeping Your Child Safe – Video Series
- One Million Safer Kids video – See Kidpower In Action
- PuppetPower Videos – for Young Children with their Adults
- Protecting Youth Athletes from Abuse Videos – for Parents, Coaches, and Youth Sports Leaders
- Walk In Another’s Shoes video – Teens Speak Out About Bullying
Please consider joining us in September in celebrating International Child Protection Month to honor, inspire,and support adult leadership in keeping kids safe from harm and empowering them with skills for taking charge of their own well-being.
To inquire about parent workshops or other services, use the contact us form below.