Pleins Pouvoirs KIDPOWER Montréal was established in 1996 by Sex Education Counselor Marylaine Léger and Biologist, Teacher and Martial Artist Marc Meilleur. Marylaine is also involved with Kidpower International as a Senior Program Leader and a Special Projects Manager. Kidpower Montreal offers services for children, teens, and adults, including for individuals with special needs. We also offer professional on-going training services for daycares, schools, special needs groups, women’s groups and shelters, senior centers, and many others. We have reached over 260,000 people between the ages of 3 and 103, mostly in the Greater Montreal Area and, on occasion, in several distant communities around Quebec.
People often ask me, ‘22 years with Kidpower! What drives your commitment?’ There are many answers to that. But the essence of all of them is that I receive far more than I give. It warms my heart when I witness the power of the skills we teach. The JOY, PEACE, and CONFIDENCE they bring are priceless gifts in people’s lives!
~ Marylaine Léger, Kidpower Montreal Director
We found your Kidpower Safety Comics at our local library, full to the brim of the right words to say to our kids to talk about safety and to practice the skills. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for the work you do, all the effort, dedication and care you put into your work. You just gave us four fantastic fun-filled days of practicing safety skills. It empowered us to act on a situation that felt insurmountable before. What you do is priceless. Thank you!
~ Grandmother of a 4-year old boy who left us a voicemail on Valentine’s day.
Tools for life. Two-years after our workshop, we still talk about it positively.
~ Valerie Gatellier, Teenpower workshop participant
Excellent program for developping assertiveness and self-protection, for kids as well as adults. The instructors are very conscientious and professional. I highly recommend them.
~ Amélie Joyal, Kidpower workshop participant
Kidpower’s generosity in sharing their important work within our school’s communication tools has allowed us to do a better job of cultivating a caring culture towards everyone. Kidpower not only helps us do a more child-friendly job of promoting safety and respect, they also help the adults of our community increase their positive intervention skills to support this.
~ Psycho-social Education Counselor, Four Winds Elementary School, Sainte-Julie, Québec
Using Assertiveness To Stop Life-Altering Cultural Pressure
“Surina” is an immigrant and a survivor of domestic and family violence from a very traditional religious culture. The day after she had practiced boundary-setting in her Fullpower workshop, she was able to resist intense emotional pressure and refuse to let the sister of a man who wanted to marry her into her home. She stood at her door and said firmly and repeatedly, “No, thank you! I don’t want to marry him.”
Later, Surina said, “I would NEVER have been able to say no to this kind of pressure if I had not taken these few workshop hours with you and practiced strong boundary setting. Thank you! Before this class, I would have accepted this marriage proposal, and once again, ended up married to a man I do not know or love. I am proud to have been able to resist this enormous cultural pressure so I can choose to live my life the way I want to live it, even if it means facing my community’s disapproval.”
Last year alone, Kidpower Montréal:
- directly taught over 3,100 people – all ages and abilities
- taught over 550 hours of workshops
- held over 40 public workshops conducted in all programs: kids, teens, adults, seniors
- held over 70 private workshops serving kids, women, teens, and people with special needs
- served over 25 different agencies
To name just a few:
- 22 year partnership with IVAC (Indemnisation for Victim of Criminal Acts) and the CNESST (Workers Safety and Health Compensation Board of Quebec) both of which cover the full cost of our services for every client that registers to one or more of our public workshops.
- 15 year partnership with CPE Pomme-Soleil, Early Childhood Education Child Care Center
- 10 year collaboration with Community Health Service Clinics (CIUSSS) in several Montreal boroughs refer our services to vulnerable families and individuals and when possible also cover the cost of our workshop fees for them
- 5 year collaboration with Four Winds Elementary School, (École Aux Quatre-Vents) in Sainte-Julie (south-shore of Montreal) to incorporate Kidpower curriculum elements in the schools communication tools and daily Kidpower practices by the faculty with their students.
- A brand new Authorized Service Provider agreement has been established with the Centre Saint-Pierre a non-profit training center serving community groups to further their impact and ability to lead their important work through accessible staff, board and volunteer trainings opportunities. Lise Noël, an active Fullpower Instructor will now be able to provide regular Fullpower Everyday Safety workshops to Centre Saint-Pierre’s organizational clients.